Monday, January 27, 2014

January 27th, 2014

quite the FREEZING week here! I don't really know what happened but out of no where it snowed!! It didnt really make it to the ground but they canceled school and everything was shut down it was pretty crazy actually! then it was like in the 70's yesterday and its supposed to snow again tomorrow. who even knows!
We had training and interviews this week which is always good :) The thing I love about president is he is so not intimidating. he is just so chill and so real! Like half of my interview he was just laughing about everything haha. he is the best.
We have really struggled with finding people to teach here and we felt that service is going to be the biggest thing we can do to find people so one day we just put on our service clothes and got some rakes and went to an area and started knocking doors asking if we could rake their yards! We knocked a few doors and no one answered so we stopped and said a prayer and asked for guidance and we all felt that we needed to go down this one street so we went and the second door that we knocked a lady answered the door and we started talking and she couldn't believe that we were willing to do her yard work! It took like 3 hours but she was beyond grateful and it opened her heart to letting us come back and visit with her! She's a 24 year old girl and she lives with a bunch of guys in this house and said she has been praying to have some good girlfriends in her life. We are really praying that we can get somewhere with her! We know that The Lord led us to her that day and that she is definitely being prepared to hear this gospel. 
Something cool that we have been doing with the members is a one minute challenge where we teach them how to share the message of the restoration in under a minute. The idea is for them to have something in mind to share with those people they come into contact with when they are asked what their beliefs are and it has been going really well! A couple of the members have said that just days after we did it with them someone came up to them at work and asked them questions about our church and the book of mormon and they were able to share with them really briefly the restoration and now their friends are interested! Its been really helpful even to us as missionaries!  
Our district on saturday volunteered at a homeless shelter in conroe and I have never seen anything so sad in my entire life! these people literally live in the forest. they are lucky if they have a tent and sleeping bag. some of them live in their cars in parking lots and they all line up at this center to be fed and to keep warm and get some help. Sister Ae I were in charge of getting them food and we sat down and talked with them and they shared their stories with us and it was sooo so sad. I felt guilty after for all of the things that I have that I take advantage of. It was one of those experiences that I definitely needed to have because a lot of times I dont even realize or recognize how blessed i really am! We usually are the ones humbling the people here but this time it was definitely the other way around! These people were so happy too and so strong and so grateful for the tiny things they did have. It made me feel like such an ungrateful little girl! That night I came home and couldn't even ask for anything in my prayers I just spent probably 10 minutes straight thanking my heavenly father for everything I had and was grateful for and it was the best feeling ever! Its something I definitely need to be better at! Its been a really good week for sure :)
I love you all!!!
xoxo sister huber

Training and Interview day

No comments:

Post a Comment