Monday, June 3, 2013

May 30, 2013

I think every missionary has their "moment" where they finally feel like they have truly accomplished their purpose and have touched someone.  I wasn't expecting to feel this so soon.  But tonight, my companion and I had the most amazing experience so far at the MTC.  We missionaries had the opportunity to teach less active members.  It was really scary going into it knowing they weren't acting or faking their stories.  These are real life people who are struggling and we are supposed to reach out to them.  We knew nothing about them, and had ZERO time to prepare.  So Sister Murphy and I sat down with this girl.  She is 25 and still lives at home with her parents.  She is in the nursing program at UVU and graduated from AF!  So I connected with her right away and we talked about nursing and stuff like that.  We talked about her home life, and found out that she stopped going to church because she doesn't feel close to God and taking 3 hours out of her Sunday feels like a waste.  She occasionally reads the scriptures, but rarely prays anymore.  She was born into the Church and grew up in it.  She just simply fell away. You could see in her eyes that she was hurting.  And to be honest, I don't remember what I said to her exactly.  The spirit guided me.  But it was something along the lines of how much the Lord loves her and His plan for her. It was nothing profound I guess you could say.  I shared a scripture and ended with my testimony.  But as I spake those words to her, tears started rolling down her face, and I knew the spirit touched her.  The spirit that was in that room was so strong.  She looked at me and said "Thank you so much.  That was exactly what I needed to hear."  She promised us that she would get her family and go to church on Sunday.

I know that it wasn't me and my words that made her feel what she felt.  It was the spirit.  The spirit is what guided me to say what I said, and what touched her heart tonight.  It was a huge testimony builder for me, and I know without a doubt that the Lord is preparing the hearts of those in Houston for the spirit to come and touch them as well.  All I am is a way for the spirit to get there!

The journey has just begun! You don't have to have a name tag to be a missionary!  Just carry the spirit with you, and you will touch lives!

Love,
Sister Huber

1 comment: